Jess and I actually had a discussion if this should have gone under our Homemade category because a good roast beef should be every now and again in everyone's home (unless you have a vegetarian home, then don't make a roast beef, as it would be a giant waste).
- 2 Tbsp EVOO
- 3 lbs beef roast
- 10 3/4 oz can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 packet dry onion soup mix
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 to 2 lbs potatoes, halved or quartered
- 1 lb carrots, chopped
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the EVOO and warm for 4 to 5 seconds.
- Add the beef roast and brown all sides.
- Remove beef roast to a 4 quart slow cooker (we used a 6 quart and it was almost too big).
- Lower the heat to low.
- To the saute pan, add mushroom soup, water, onion soup mix, salt and pepper.
- Mix this well, making sure to scrape up all pieces of the beef that may have come off.
- Pour this mixture over the beef in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Uncover, add the potatoes and carrots, recover, and cook for 4 more hours on low.
The recipe can be found in Fix-It and Forget-It: Big Cookbook using variations 1 and 4. It makes 8 servings for conservative eaters (less if you're piggies like us!).